Elizabeth Menkin, MD
Clinical Medical Director
The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice
4311 Third Avenue
San Diego, CA, USA 92103-1407
Dr Elizabeth Menkin is a Clinical Medical Director at San Diego Hospice and the Institute for Palliative Medicine. Her work there includes
- Hospice physician house calls and consultations
- Medical Director supervision and teaching for hospice home care teams
- Patient care and teaching in the Inpatient Care Center
- Didactic and supervisory teaching of medical students, residents and fellows in palliative care training
- Principal Investigator for research projects under the Director of the Center for Palliative Studies
- Program development and quality improvement
Dr Menkin received Bachelor and Master of Arts degree in Biology from University of California Santa Cruz. She had a 23-year career with The Permanente Medical Group starting in Internal Medicine at Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara in 1981 and as a staff physician at San Jose/ Santa Teresa from 1985 to 2008. She is board certified in Geriatrics since 1992, and in Hospice and Palliative Medicine since 1997. She also has a special interest in restorative justice (www.vorp.com/articles/lifeaft.html).
Prior to beginning her work at SDH/IPM in 2008, Elizabeth was founder and chair of Coda Alliance, the Silicon Valley community coalition for end-of-life care (www.codaalliance.org). With Coda Alliance and a grant from Archstone Foundation, she developed the Go Wish Game, a set of cards that helps promote discussions about life values and end-of-life care wishes (www.gowish.org). San Diego Hospice and the Institute for Palliative Medicine are supporting her research on the efficacy of this tool in defining and clarifying patients’ goals of care.
Elizabeth holds appointments as faculty for the Center of Palliative Studies and as Voluntary Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Medicine, UCSD School of Medicine.